Winter/Spring weeds that spread by rhizomes

tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)March 13, 2012

So, the "winter" weeds that I thought I had pulled and thrown away have come back from the roots...in some places, probably where they were allowed to grow really big & strong. It's NOT henbit. It's a brighter green leaf, more blade-like in shape, some-what centered around a rosette/taproot. Kinda looks like clover but not. About a month ago I weeded the entire area, as it's a landscape bed with mulch around the "good" plants. Tonight I found a number of spots where the weeds were coming back and when I hacked at them with a hand-held hoer, I found a large root/rhizome that I proceeded to dig out. I'm wondering what on Earth this is and how on Earth do I get rid of it?!? I was about to spread corn gluten meal on the entire area, wet it down, and let it dry, then cover it with a heavy layer of mulch. BUT, I don't think that would phase this nasty weed. And, if it's a plant you like, I apologize, but it spreads too quickly for me and I just don't like the way it looks, so it's a weed for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bedford8a(8a)

If it looks like clover, grows from a central point and has tiny yellow flowers -look out! The seeds form a burr and the burrs are nasty. I have two dogs and they have carried it on their fur into my back yard and along our sidewalk. Corn gluten did not stop them this year.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 9:24AM
PKponder TX(7b)

I have been waging war on that same clover stuff bedford. Those stickers are gnarly! I innocently thought that it was clover and let it get a strong foothold, then discovered the burs. It's easier to get out after a rain.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 7:23PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

Thanks Bedford, but it's not clover-like and it has little white flowers. I think one year I let it go, thinking it looked pretty...which was a mistake, obviously!

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 10:04PM
Lynn Marie

Post pics please!

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:52PM
tx_ag_95(7/8 Lewisville)

Next time I find a clump big enough to photograph, I'll take a picture! I didn't think to take pictures before I started pulling it. I was hoping that it was common enough that people would recognize it by description.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:37AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

The only weed I can think of with somewhat sword shaped leaves and spreads by rhizomes, as well as seeds, is what's commonly called 'Widow's tears' also known as Spiderwort (of which there are good garden cultivars), but their blooms are blue; although some are very light blue. Could that be it? If so I've been temped to leave them in the garden too, but they do want to take over.

Here is a link that might be useful: Could it be these? Google images ...

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Need layout help!
Please advise on what plant! Im disgusted with my front...
snackattacker
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™