Corn Masa

jcurtis912August 1, 2012

I mix in some corn masa into my compost bedding with my worms yesterday. I checked in on it this morning. They went ABSOLUTELY NUTS. They are in like 3 or 4 big swirling masses, right next to clumps of corn masa that has lots of BSFL larvae in it. They look fat, and when i picked one up, it had a shiny irridescent sheen to it.

Why do people say corn meal is bad for the worms?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeterK2

It's because some overgeneralize, they have one bad experience and write the food off totally. Some foods are more risky than others when being added to a bin, either due to heating issues, potential ammonia, excess moisture, etc.. But the actual risk depends on other things like quantity, type of bin, how it's added, age of bin etc. as well as the added material itself. But some are still prone to be a bit dramatic and say food xxx is bad under any circumstance.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mendopete

I have a 5lb bag of masa way out of date. How thick a layer did you add, or how did you mix it with what kind of bedding? I was a little hesitant to put much in.

I believe worms will eat ANYTHING that once lived, plant or animal...... Key is to feed slow and in moderation. Pocket feed to be safe.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
Here, in the afterglow of day, we keep our rendezvous beneath the blue
Any GardenWeb alternatives on the horizon? This worm...
equinoxequinox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™