Vine for mesh wire fence?

pylgrymJuly 20, 2008

Hi all, I am looking to put up a vine mainly for privacy, but also ideally that has a nice flower or fruit on a mesh wire fence, about 40 feet long. It looks like Kiwi requires a male and female, and 2 years to flower if I could keep it alive so I think that is out.

What would you suggest for Seattle climate that would grow thick enough to create privacy year round, and ideally has something else to offer? I'm open to anything. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

I don't know how heavy the wire might be. Some large vines could pull it down unless it's substantial. If you are looking for coverage only in summer, you could plant annual vines. Is it a sunny location?

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 11:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimcoco

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "mesh" wire fence.

Clematis won't give year round interest, but you'd get decent coverage during the growing season, takes a couple years to establish.

Climbing Hydrangea would probably be too heavy, and takes years to establish.

What about Boston Ivy - vigorous grower.

Grape vine would work too, but there is a particular way you'd want to prune it to get it to produce fruit (4-5 years later), so I'm not sure if this would give you the coverage you are looking for unless you want to sacrifice the fruit - then you just let it grow on its own.

None of these will give year round interest, but my choice would be the clematis. Type 3 Viticella clematis are wilt resistant, and you can prune them down by half after the inital bloom to get a second bloom in the fall. Polish Spirit variety gets really large. If interested, check out "clematis on the web" (it's a UK site) for more info on clems.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
What is going on with this pothos plant?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Wanting fast growing/spreading vine
My house is in the middle of an acre field. I want...
srks72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™