How fast does Carolina Jessamine grow?

jasminehearted(8)July 29, 2012

I have been trying to find this answer for days. I bought a Carolina Jessamine/Jasmine plant for my patio that I'm hoping will just cover the inside fence (I want it to be massive full, everywhere).

It's probably about 7 feet long but with just a few vines. Healthy and glossy. I'm planning to put it in the ground (it's in a nice planter for now). The thing is I cannot get a reliable answer as to how fast this plant grows.

The nursery told me it is super slow only growing a few inches a year. My grandmother said in three years her jasmine just covered the side of her house. I'm not sure if we have the same jasmine, she seemed sure we did, but I think hers may be confederate. Sometimes I hear that it grows fast, and sometimes I hear it grows very slow. Which is it?

If it grows only a few inches a year does that mean it'll take 10 years to fill my fence? Or does it get fuller as it gets longer? Can anyone give me a clear account of it's growing habits? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mombay(6)

Here is a photo of my Carolina Jasmine. I would say it grows 5 foot a year which I assume is fast for any plant. There are about two plants on either side of the arbor and I would say it took about three years to get to the stage you see. The vine has yellow trumpet flowers in the spring which have no aroma like regular jasmine. Yes, it definitely gets bushy as it grows. Our problem is trimming it over the stairs without killing ourselves leaning ladders, etc. What you see here has been recently trimmed because it gets a little wild looking if let go too long. It needs to be trimmed 3 or so times a summer, maybe more if we have a lot of rain. If the jasmine were on a wall, the trimming would be much easier.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 10:23AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I think they take a couple years before they take off. Mine has not does much this year. I had one at my last house that was huge...I lived there 10 years.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 11:06AM
jasminehearted(8)

Uh oh, I went to look at my tag and it turns out I have Madison Jasmine. Not sure how that happened! Well I guess same question, different jasmine

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 2:16PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

"Madison " is simply a cultivar of Confederate Jasmine. It will grow quite quickly in your climate. It's more common in colder locations since it has proven itself to be hardier than other Trachelospermum jasminoides.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 6:14PM
butterfly4u

Jasminehearted,
I have "Madison", it grows fast once you plant it and water on a regular basis when it's hot.
The blooms in April and May are extremely fragrant, you will love the scent.
Plant it with some composted cow manure and mulch goood. Water it often, I had to dig mine out from the front of my house, it was planted by hose. It grew so fast and spread so fast, I was tired of cutting it.
I still have some more of it on the other side of the house, and if it behaves itself, (dosn't get as much water) I will keep it.
By nextyear it will really take off for you, but the fragrance in the spring months is why I loved it.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 2:37PM
jasminehearted(8)

Thank you everyone!

I don't know how I got confused about the type of Jasmine I had. The plant is doing well and all your answers were very informative! I'm training it onto a fishing line latice I strung onto the fence. I can't wait for it to fill in!

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:59PM
msbatt

My mom planted one about 5 years ago. For the past three years, we've had to trim it back repeatedly ALL SUMMER LONG in order to still use the glider on the porch. It would be a wonderful plant, if she'd planted it somewhere else.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 11:35PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Both plant are fast growers, easy to root & look lovely on a fence in my zone.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
Fast Growing Vines
Hey everyone! I would like to get some fast growing...
Matt Conner
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Sponsored Products
Design Element London 72-inch Double Sink Bathroom Vanity Set
Overstock.com
Easy Pendant by Kartell
$180.00 | Lumens
Ingo Maurer | Lacrime del Pescatore Ceiling Light
YLighting
Set of Six Picardie Tumblers - 4.4 oz.
$15.95 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Orian Rugs Rugs Layers Lava 7 ft. 10 in. Round
Home Depot