Holly fern help

TexasSnowMarch 28, 2014

My 2-year-old holly ferns look terrible, although I'm pretty sure they are all alive. I have cut back all the dead fronds, but need suggestions on care. They are all under mature red oaks in clay soil.

I really need to do what I can to get these poor plants revived, replacing all of them would be really expensive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Some of mine looked bad too so a couple of weeks ago I cut them back, loosened the soil, applied some fertilizer and compost, mixed it in, and watered. They are already putting out new fronds. Mulching the ground around them would be beneficial also. They'll do fine and you won't have to replace them.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:32AM
TexasSnow

Thanks for the reply. What type of fertilizer did you use?

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 9:53AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

As for fertilizer -- nothing special, just whatever I have on hand. I watch for broken bags of fertilizer at Lowes; preferably those with a slow release form of nitrogen. Organically derived fertilizer is my first choice, but I'll use other types also.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:03AM
Austin_Phytomaniac

Just to add to roselee's excellent comments: Holly fern may be the easiest fern to grow in alkaline clay, but it often has the drawback of the crown pushing up above the soil line. If this happens, it's critical that you raise the mulch line correspondingly. Every spring and fall, I apply slow-release organic fertilizer, e.g. Yum Yum Mix, Lady Bug or Medina Growin Green, followed by a top dressing of good compost (I prefer homemade), and finally a thick layer of shredded bark mulch. This ritual seems to maintain soil tilth, which keeps the ferns happy. In the meantime, if you notice the crowns growing taller, it's time to add more mulch.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Tree identification
Just bought a house in San antonio and have no idea...
Diana Ortega
California Poppies
The first bloom opened on my California poppies. The...
briaustex 8b
rabbit fence
We live in houston and looking at getting a rabbit...
sumanamine
Need ballpark figure for irrigation
We recently put in a pool. Pool, landscaper, irrigation...
emrld444
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
Sponsored Products
Cassara 4' Outdoor Bench Cushion, Patio Furniture
$243.00 | FRONTGATE
Del Monte Foods - Pet Food 18 oz. Kitten Lil Nibbles Dry Cat Food - 0863-4115
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Stamina AeroPilates Premier XP 299 Pilates Reformer - Refurbished Multicolor - 5
$160.01 | Hayneedle
Light Blue Glass Bottle Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Sergeants Pet Care Products Calming Cat Collar - 0865-0731
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Stanley Avalon Heights Straight Front Nightstand - 193-13-80
$799.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™