Afghan Worms?

susanfromhawaiiAugust 4, 2009

There's a fellow on vermicomposters.ning.com who is deploying to Afghanistan and wants to vermicompost garbage from the base. If anyone knows what kind of worms they have in that region, how to get composting worms locally, or any rules on importation, please hop over there and let him know. Our only help has been 'check import rules' and 'if you take anything, take cocoons.'

If you have info, but don't want to join that site, post it here and I'll move it over to vermicomposters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

I would think that it would be easiest to take some vermicompost that has eggs in it rather than actual worms. Might be less aversion to it. Then, as the eggs hatch, start a bin there.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:58AM
susanfromhawaii

Someone recommended that. If he's going to take worms, that's certainly the best way to do it. Others were worried about taking an invasive species in to a location that may not have that type of worm. So far he's gotten lots of good advice, but no one knows anything specific about Afghanistan. I doubt he'll find anyone, but I thought I'd cast the net wider for him.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 4:07PM
mwudan

why bother with worms? he should just make a hot compost pile - esp presuming there will be a large volume of waste.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™