Fish Emulsion/Kelp Booster

susu99June 7, 2012

I went to Agway to pick up some seaweed/fish emulsion to fertilize my plants this week and they sold me "Kelp Booster". I followed instructions and put about half a cup around the drip line and gently mixed in with a fork all 30 of my plants before I noticed that the bag said "not intended for use on food crops"!!! the ingredients are just calcium and kelp... How bad is this???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Went to the Agway website to find the product and what it said about it. Couldn't find any kelp products listed in either the organic or non-organic and nothing by that name. Can you find a link to it somewhere?

However I did discover that they sell lots of Espoma fertilizers and Espoma makes a lawn care product called ORGANICA KELP BOOSTER. Is this a picture of what you got? If so then check out the Espoma website instead of Agway or call Espoma for details on why it can't be used on food crops.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelp Booster

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:00AM
macbettz

could be the seaweed is sourced from Japan and may contain radioisotopes.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 1:38PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Uhh more likely it has some sort of added binders or inert additives that while fine for grass isn't approved for use around edibles. Found the MSDS for it here. Manufactured by Espoma and sold under the brand name Organica Lawn Products

At the very least i'd return the remainder of it to the store that sold it to you and demand money back for mis-representing the product as one for the garden.

The MSDS doesn't list any hazards that jump off the page but the link above does provide the phone for calling Organica for more info on safety.

Dave

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Container cages
I need some design tips for putting a remesh cage on...
PupillaCharites
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Sorry, Don't like Sungold
Contrary to popular beliefs I find them much too sweet,...
robinava
Which tomato would you grow?
Out of the seeds I have, which would you grow two of?...
shijitake
Newbie at grafting tomatoes
I'm completely new to the procedure (also new to Tomatoes...
perlite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™