No more Japanese M.G's for me!

thistle(ontario 5b)July 26, 2009

Although I think they are beautiful and I would love to have them in my garden I just cannot get them to grow. This is my 3rd year trying them and so far they have still only reached about 3 inches in height.All my others are growing and blooming like crazy now,so sad to say I have to admit defeat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

Dont give up...Try try again...I had a bad year this year too..Too cold I think...

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 9:22AM
audrey_gw

Yes, the JMG's always grow much more slowly than the other kind, but they are worth the wait. Although they seldom have time to set seed here in Zone 5, I usually do get at least a few blooms from each vine. You might want to try Hatsu Arashi. It tends to bloom earlier than the others, generally when it is only a few inches tall!

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 1:44PM
carl-in-nh

I am zone 5 (southern NH) and planted some Japanese Morning Glory in about mid-June. They are shorter than my other "native morning glorys, not least because I received those as already started seeds in beginning June.

However, one is about 3 ft tall, the other about 1 foot (not as tall because the original planted seeds kept getting dug out by a chipmunk, until after a couple weeks I got the message through my thick head and started a seed inside)

I fully expect some flowers in the next couple of weeks.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™