Removing ivy from brick wall

bibbus 7b(7b)July 5, 2008

Is it easier to remove ivy growing up a brick wall after its dead or while its still living? I was trying to remove it while its still green but someone said if I just cut it, after the ivy dies, it will be easier to pull off the brick. There is a lot of it.

Also, I am looking for a plant to camouflage a chain link fence. There is a vine (I don't know what it is) that was fairly slow growing at the beginning but now that it has grown to the top of the fence, it requires frequent pruning sending out long thick shoots high above the fence. I found some Carolina jasmine plants for $1 on sale. Would those be good to use or would they also become very time intensive to keep in check? Would the Carolina Jasmine be invasive (like wisteria) and send out tendrils entwining int other plants growing in front of the fence?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julia(z8a)

According to Southern Living, you should cut the ivy away from the walls leaving the rootlets. Wait for the rootlets to turn brown and then remove them. Do not wait too long, however, or the rootlets will become hard and immovable. Finally, clean the surface with a wire brush. I haven't tried this. Don't know if it works, Never saw these instructions published elsewhere. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Wanting fast growing/spreading vine
My house is in the middle of an acre field. I want...
srks72
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Sponsored Products
Grammy Tomato Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Clear Glass Bathroom Shelf with Brass Holder
TheBathOutlet
Walker Midi Pin Up Wall Sconce
Lightology
5" Line Voltage IC Remodel Housing by Juno
$16.34 | Lumens
George Kovacs Eidolon Glass White Fabric Shade Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting