too much nitrogen?

raquibirdAugust 29, 2007

Is there such a thing as too much of a good thing? My vegetable foliage is beautiful, but it seems that the production of vegetables is much smaller than before I began to use the beautiful soil on my beds. I grow everything from seed, and so vegetables come in later than those that come from nurseries in little 6 packs - but I don't think it's a matter of time. Also, the vegetables - mainly different kinds of summer squash seem to taste bland. Is there too much nitrogen, and that's what's making the foliage so green? I use only kitchen scraps - oh, and some coffee grounds someone gave me. I have large beds - outside, on the ground. The temperature seems to be just right for them - the damp sponge - plenty and plenty of worms - so what's wrong? Is there anything wrong?

Also, does anybody know about Musica beans? Perhaps they need something different in the soil department? Making lots of 'comma' beans, that don't seem to straighten out. Maybe I should have a little talk with the worms.

And where does worm 'juice' come from ?? I have only lovely black soil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tclynx

If you have plenty of nitrogen already in your soil and you add nitrogen fertilizer, you can get overly lush foliage growth at the expense of flowering and fruiting. Perhaps a soil test would be in order if you don't discover the cause quickly. How much coffee grounds did you use? They are a good nitrogen source, I've used em to fertilize container plants that were suffering nitrogen deficiency.

Bookmark   August 29, 2007 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

not necessarily too much N, tho' possible, especially if you use any fertilizer other than compost .... may also be the weather [especially this year!!] - foliage should be lush and deep green, but a lack of something else can easily prevent flowering/fruiting, even a lack at a particular stage of growth or when the temps are just right

and the curly beans can be a number of things too

Bill

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 2:26AM
More Discussions
Types of worms
I imagine this topic has been discussed at length in...
duaroger
Easy harvesting trick using onion bag
If you're like me, a lazy harvester that ends up releasing...
yukoyd
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Sponsored Products
Time to Read Princess Revolving Bookcase
$117.99 | zulily
Real Wood Vertical Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
Hughes Leather Ottoman - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Golden Bronze 18x18-Inch Silk Dupioni Square Poly Insert Decorative Pillow
$113.95 | Bellacor
Bedside Lamp: Trensa 30 in. Table Lamp 10961
Home Depot
Wood Wood Lamps: 32 in. Wood Table Lamp with Twin Light EGT4761
$57.99 | Home Depot
Educational Insights Hot Dots Jr Educational Cards & Pen Set - Patterns & Sequen
$36.99 | Hayneedle
White Hexagon Bookshelf
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™