Help locating blue worm supplier in US

bphillips1589August 6, 2014

I live in south louisiana and am planning on experimenting with vermicomposting some of the invasive aquatic plants we have here, and think that blue worms might be perfect for the job. Unfortunately I can't locate any online. Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Why do you think blue worms (tropical worms seldom sold in the US) will do a better job than red wrigglers (adapted to our climate & widely available here)?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 11:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renais1

I've seen blue worms sold in combination with red wigglers in the South, including Georgia and Alabama. There was a demonstration garden in Huntsville I visited which had a large compost pile utilizing red wigglers and blue worms. The blue worms were amazingly active, even compared to the wigglers. As I recall, the blues were an accidental addition to the pile, but did thrive there. I believe the lady I talked to about the system also said that it would be hard to get a culture of just blues separated out, but that the combination was a good Southern idea because the blues migrated well into new areas (this pile was in the middle of a large yard work area, with other piles near by), and they could tolerate the heat and humidity of the summer well in the upper portions of the piles, while the reds would move down some in the summer to escape some of the heat.
Renais

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
Still searching for "vermi-eden"..........
...... one old place gone..... chuckiebtoo Moderation,...
chuckiebtoo
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™