Rooting grape vine cuttings

dimitrig(SoCal z10a/21)August 13, 2013

I had a very large (maybe 40 years old) grape vine covering my arbor. Unfortunately, the root of it was on my neighbor's land and he chose to cut it down because he's a jerk. Now I am left with the rest of the grapes (which I harvested) and all of the vines. I asked him to just pull out the root and give it to me, but he cut it to pieces. Needless to say I am very angry and sad. Is there any way that I can take cuttings from this vine and root them this time of year? I have feet and feet of woody vines some of them maybe 4 inches around. There is not a lot of green growth this time of year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Sorry no one responded sooner :-) Perhaps too late now to do anything with the remains of your plant but greenwood cuttings of grapes generally take reasonably well. I've attached a link to a previous GW discussion on this subject.

The good news is that grapes grow easily and fast so if you do not succeed with cuttings of your previous grape, planting a new one should guarantee success!!

Here is a link that might be useful: grape propagation

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 6:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dimitrig(SoCal z10a/21)

Okay, well, I placed the cuttings in pots in soil in a shady spot and watered with B-1 and Superthrive every other day. Some of the cuttings I dipped in rooting hormone and others I did not. This week some of my cuttings have started to leaf out! Yay!

So I have more questions:

1. Do they need any sort of fertilizer?

2. When can I move them into the sunlight?

3. Should I plant them in the ground or overwinter them in their pots?

4. It is getting close to the time of year when grapes will start to go dormant. There is not very much time for a lot of new growth before winter (such as it is in Southern California). I am not sure if grapes lose their leaves because of the lack of light or because of cold, but what can I do to help these cuttings survive their first winter? If I had taken the cutting in May I wouldn't be wondering, but it is odd to have new growth now in mid-September. Will they go dormant and then leaf out in spring or should I treat them in a special way (heating pad, greenhouse, etc.)?

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™