Tomato branches drooping and some twisting

z5gardenerJune 18, 2012

I'm not sure what is going on with these tomato plants. It seems to be effecting 6 out of 8 of my Amish paste. I also have 2 other types of Romas and Big Boys that are all very healthy and vibrant and are not showing any symptoms. I noticed this probably last Wed or Thur. There is no yellowing or browning on any of the leaves. It has gotten a bit worse as more branches are effected. The main stem is still very firm. The weather has been droughtish here. I can stick my finger into the soil beneath the mulch and it is moist, not wet. They do not seem to perk up when I water them or at night. Any input is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ReedBaize

Mine have done the same thing. All I can think is that is might have to do with using cages? Plants are doing well and producing but have some twisted branches.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:22AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

How would Using cages cause twisted leaves ?

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:37AM
ReedBaize

Well, I've noticed that the branches sometimes get hung on the cage while growing. This causes them to bend under and twist. After I free them they tend to straighten out. As fast as tomatoes grow, your obviously going to miss this sometimes.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 11:10AM
fruitmaven.WIz5(5)

My Amish Paste tomatoes are doing the same thing! It is strange weather we are having in WI, very dry. I water the raised beds every few days. None of my other 10 varieties of tomatoes are doing that, so I figured it's just how Amish Paste responds to heat. (This is my first year growing it) Though, I have a 13-striped ground squirrel trying to nest between it and my Roma, so I wondered if that had something to do with it. I'm growing mine on stakes, with some pruning. Amish Paste is growing the second fastest of all my varieties (Sungold is taking over the world.)

I saw a healthy little tomato on the Amish Paste yesterday, though, so I'm not worrying about it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 12:24PM
steven1032

Root rot will cause these symptoms from over watering. Cut open a stem and check for streaking. If no streaking. Then slow down on watering.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 12:21PM
z5gardener

We have had 3 very hot and humid days in a row. The tomatoes are still growing and actually look better. I don't think they were overwatered. I don't water everyday and we have had 2 days of rain since they were planted. I think it was just their own unique reaction to the weather and the cages. Thanks for all the advice.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 7:46AM
Coconut_Head(5b)

My san marzano redortas have been doing the same thing, as well as the ones I gave away to some friends. Only that variety, perhaps it has something to do with the paste varieties? It almost seems like the plants are trying to turn thier leaves upside down. ???

CH

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
What are you growing for 2015?
Hi all! I'm a fairly new gardener (this will be my...
sarcastichousewife
Tomatoes that did not want to quit
Anecdotal experience from last year- Maya and Sion...
sheltieche
Is it worth planting, Azoychka Russian?
I ordered seeds last year and the seller included a...
nhardy
Cost per tomato?
I'm not going to even guess. I'm going to order 8...
lucillle
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™