Trumpet Vine Hell

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)August 18, 2007

A mistake I made five years ago has to go. Can't take the dropped flowers on the patio. Thought I'd have my son dig it up and transplant but have no structure for it other than the pergola it is now climbing. Will this transplant easily enough? Is Fall a good time? And will it look okay just sprawling across the ground on the top of a berm that is only pine straw? There are pine trees and not much sun. I hate to kill it. The only other place is an arborvitae hedge about 8 feet tall - but I think it would knock them all over eventually!

Any opinions or experience much appreciated.

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

You may not be able to kill it,ever! I would wait until it's dormant and then transplant. Get as much root as you can, it will sulk for sure. Keep in mind if this is campsis radicans you may never be able to get rid of it! Do a search on this sit for more info. When the world ends, there will be Roaches, Cher, and Trumpet vines left!

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 5:10PM
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

It IS Campsis Radicans. Great. Just what I thought. I might use a vine killer and forget about transplanting - just cut it down to the ground. And that's the funniest thing I ever heard about the end of the world! You are SO right!

Westy

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 1:00AM
ARUM(7)

Yes, rid yourself of the Trumpet Vine, if you think you can. :)( enter-Music from the movie "Jaws"),also,- at the end of the world the Trumpet Vine will still be lovely, but plastic surgery can only hold out so long.

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 7:24AM

Westy, go easy on the vine killer it really doesn't work well on campsis. Just dig it out and pull'em as they sprout over the next century....

Arum, I stand corrected! LOL, I can see it now...a pile of silicone, stitches, and waist length wigs!

I do love the woman though!

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 2:12PM
ARUM(7)

What can I say? Even Michael Jackson has talent. :)

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 2:48PM

Ah, but can he Garden???
LOL, enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 3:30PM
jimsgirl(z5)

hi! i've been away from garden web quite a while, but have a question about trumpet vine..is there one that's not so invasive? i have been reading about "indian summer" that blooms the first year according to one seller....thanks

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 4:52PM

Hey Jimsgirl,
Can't comment from personal experience with Indian Summer, but from what I've heard none of them can be trusted at this point! I've been chomping at the bit for one that is tamer. I think it'll be big news on here when one is found that can be controlled! LOL

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 7:35PM
karyn1(7a)

Westy you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you will be stuck with that vine forever. Nothing will kill it. Even Vine X didn't work for me. Just when you think you've succeeded in annihilation of the evil campsis it pops up somewhere else in your yard again and again and again..........
Karyn

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™