Yellow Flowering, bulb based weed

DoctorCluApril 25, 2014

I've had fun cultivating my front lawn to be a lawn of short weeds that don't grow high so I don't have to mow as often. :) In my weeding I came across this one that had this segmented round base, and other ones like it had a yellow flower. Any idea what this is?

While this is the one I am most interested in I have a whole bunch of Texas plants and weeds I'd like to get to know that I posted on my facebook if some of you are up for a challenge. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152109871318651&set=a.10152109871028651.1073741843.513018650&type=3&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: Name These Texas Plants/Weeds Challenge

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My guess is some type of Oenothera triloba.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 5:35PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

If you would collect seed later., I would not mind some. I would love some if you would like to trade. By summers end I should have other Oenotheras. I , too, love to garden with weeds.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 5:42PM
bluegirl_gw

Looks like Oenothera to me, also. Check that bud in the evening--it will open to a beautiful yellow "primrose". Fine plant for native gardens. If you save it, dig deep--it's got a taproot.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:13PM
lucas_tx_gw

I don't have a facebook account but can see your photos on the site. If you can post them here so people can comment without having to go back and forth it will help.

The Oenothera triloba has been ID'd. It's native and supports all the nocturnal moths, I'd leave it alone.

The big thistle like thing you don't like is probably a non native thistle of the Sonchus genus.

The low thing with the purple flowers is Sherardia arvensis, common name Sherardia, non native.

The low thing you said you like because you don't have to mow it appears to be a plantain, some are native some are introduced.

The one you call a dandelion does seem to be a member of the genus Taraxucum.

Your "fern" is something in carrot family probably Torilis arvensis.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™