Different morning glory bloom

nkrzAugust 6, 2008

I have three different kinds of morning glories growing together on a back trellis, and when I went out one morning to check the blooms, I found a completely new bloom that had made an appearance. The first picture is the new bloom, the other two are pictures of the other morning glories I have growing together.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_convolvulaceae

Hi nkrz - I see at least 4 different types...

The 1st photo shows an Ipomoea purpurea that looks like it started out as a Star of Yelta,but picked up the trait for lightening on the distal area of the secondary folds...

The 2nd photo shows an Ipomoea purpurea typical for Granpa Ott's and the smaller light blue flower is an Ipomoea hederacea...

The 3rd photo shows Ipomoea purpurea Milky Way

I sent you an email via the GW system...

Talk to you...

Ron

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 10:25AM
nkrz

That was the only flower that bloomed that way. The rest were all the star of yelta color.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 1:03PM
littleonefb

I'm seeing the same thing as Ron.

In pic number 2, if you look right behind the small light blue Ipomoea hederacea, you will see some variagated leaves that are totally different in shape from the leaves of the "Grandpa Ott's flower". Grandpa Ott's has the typical heart shaped leave most people associate with morning glory vines.

The variagated leaf is typical of what I have seen with Japanese morning glory vine leafs as well.

Pic #3 looks identical to my neighbor's milky way morning glory.

Fran

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 3:03PM
littleonefb

I'm seeing the same thing as Ron.

In pic number 2, if you look right behind the small light blue Ipomoea hederacea, you will see some variagated leaves that are totally different in shape from the leaves of the "Grandpa Ott's flower". Grandpa Ott's has the typical heart shaped leave most people associate with morning glory vines.

The variagated leaf is typical of what I have seen with Japanese morning glory vine leafs as well.

Pic #3 looks identical to my neighbor's milky way morning glory.

Fran

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 4:48PM
nkrz

I went out there this morning and saw another bloom like that, so what I will have to do is go out and mark the vine that has that bloom because I have all those different ones growing on the same trellis.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 8:34AM
ron_convolvulaceae

Marking the main stem of the vine is a good idea,but if the flower clusters are still emerging interspersed with the clusters of a different colored flower,then it is a very good idea to be sure to mark the clusters of the flowers to keep better track...

The individual stems supporting each flower are known as the the pedicel and the stem from the base of the group of pedicels to the axial area of the vine stem is the peduncle as seen in the photo here
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/nkrz/100_0290.jpg

I would suggest marking the peduncle(s) with a lasting marker of yarn or twine...
an excellent permanent marker can be made out of a pieces of a plastic straw...
1st cut the straw into sections of about 1/2 to 1 inch,then after placing a lengthwise slit into the straw section,simply push the straw band with the slit cut into it onto the peduncle...

Hope that helps...

TTY,...

Ron

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™