Hardy Kiwi - strength or roots

granite_grrlAugust 7, 2008

I am still trying to figure out a place for a kiwi vine that I bought last spring. I have decided one of two places along our fence, but my husband is sugesting next to the deck by the house to grow on a trellis we have there.

The trellis needs something and the Nelly Mosher Clematis I had growing there died a month or two ago. I'm just worried about planting the kiwi so close to the house and I'm thinking it'll out grow this small trellis faster than I'd like.

What kind of root system do hardy kiwis develope? And the tend to get rather big over the years, don't they?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bl00dl1ne(8a)

In my experience, I've found there are two important things to keep in mind. It needs to be planted in a moist area and it needs plenty of room to grow. They grow amazingly fast and do get huge.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 1:35AM
bl00dl1ne(8a)

btw, do u happen to know if your plant is a male/female?

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 5:25PM
granite_grrl

I have no idea if its male of female. Do all males eventually become varigated, or is that only a particular type? It didn't get any flowers this year either.

Its an interesting vine, but not one that I know many people have in their gardens around here.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:27PM
bl00dl1ne(8a)

I believe you have the arctic kiwi vine, or variegated kiwi. Its not the fuzzy kind in supermarkets but a soft skinned, grape-sized variety. The reason I asked is because you have to have both male and female plants to produce kiwi fruit.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 6:10PM
granite_grrl

Sorry, mine isn't variegated, I was thinking of my friend's who actually has a male - female pair. I only have the one vine so it obviously won't be producing. I just bought it 'cause I kinda like the look of it.

Perhaps once I get it to flower and know its sex I will try to find one of the opposite.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
What is going on with this pothos plant?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Vine Trellis in Back yard
We just moved into a new house in January, now that...
zoemaura
Wanting fast growing/spreading vine
My house is in the middle of an acre field. I want...
srks72
Sponsored Products
Green & White Zigzag Organizer
$12.99 | zulily
Pop Scented Candle
$38.00 | Horchow
Ethan F2630/8 Chandelier by Feiss
$720.00 | Lumens
New Real Blue Pakistani Chobi Peshawar 8'x10' Hand Knotted Floral Wool Rug H3786
BH Sun Inc
Loctite Thread Sealant 565 - .2 oz (6ml) Tube
Signature Hardware
Outdoor Lighting. Luxor - 3-Light - 27 in. Post Lantern with Satin Frost Glass P
Home Depot
Milan Shag Dark Beig Rectangular: 5 Ft. 1 In. x 8 Ft. Rug
$167.95 | Bellacor
Morris Polished Chrome One-Light Wall Sconce with White Shade
$192.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™