Honeysuckle Not Growing

jmcnyc(6)August 12, 2011

I planted a honeysuckle in early june - and am trying to get it to grow up a trellis. It is not doing anything. See the picture. It is basically just the same as when I planted it. It seems healthy. I fertilized it a few times. Nothing happening. I was hoping for some coverage on the trellis for the winter months - but it is not happening. Any honeysuckle advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: See Photo of Honeysuckle here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresa2(z5)

As with many perennials there's an old adage that goes like this: First year it sleeps, second year it creeps, third year it leaps.

Your vine is putting its energy into establishing its root system. Until then, you'll have to be patient. Based on your photo it looks like it is off to an excellent start.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunrisedigger(6a)

Hi thersa2--- Thanks for the adage. My Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle is also off to a slow start like jmcnyc's after about three years. Two things though, the neigbors Boston Ivy is coming through on my side where the Honeysuckle is. Could the Honeysuckle be choked or crowded by another competing vine?
Also, even though it tolerates part shade like where it is could that be affecting its growth rate? It's more like dappled shade part of the day. Thanks

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™