Passionfruit Vine

mkb123August 24, 2014

Hi- Have naively planted 2 passionfruit vines to cover a trellis then learned that this will not be nearly enough space for these ever-growing/stretching vines. How hard is it to transplant these? I do not want to kill them. I heard a speaker on the vine, and now am scared to cut back too much, but I have read here about people keeping them contained. I am planning on a 8-10 foot wide and 5 feet high trellis. The gentleman said that you get your flowers and new buds on the new growth, so if I needed to keep it cut back as it has nowhere to go, will I ruin my chances of its bearing fruit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Well acquainted with this native, having imported it from the South, several years ago. The most impossibly invasive vine on my property. Worse than Bignonia or Trumpetvine.
Would always keep it potted, if I had to do it again.
Beautiful, but the fruit is small and too seedy to be of much value. Comes up 20 feet from original planting, but I let it edge my above ground pool and bloom. Sweet perfume not too pleasant to me, but people differ. I have the more unusual P. incarnata 'Alba'.
Maintain noncommercial blog at bogturtles garden at blogspot, and have shown photos recently.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Which Passiflora is it? Passion fruit covers a lot of species.

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™