Romas are getting pink

Deborah-SC(8a)June 20, 2012

Hello all. I am so excited 'cause some of my Romas are pinking up. I've never veggie gardened before and I swear waiting on these tomatoes is like being pregnant -- seems like it takes forever!!

I have not seen any birds or squirrels messing around the garden - yet. I do have a birdbath for the birds (squirrels use it too). Question: do the animals only show interest in ripe tomatoes? Should I buy bird netting? Please share your experiences with me please -- this is the only crop I'll get this year. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Just pick them and bring them indoors to finish ripening. That way you don't have to worry about the animals, or the rain, or the worms, or anything else. Picking tomatoes at color break (aka "blush") is a common practice.

Dave

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 11:36AM
behlgarden(9)

I second Dave's thought. Recently I lost one tomato to some creature while I wanted to get the tomato completely red on the vine, only to find out that its gone. SOB's took it. Time for more poision wheet.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:50PM
Deborah-SC(8a)

Thanks for the replies. I had to leave town for about 36 hours. Home this p.m. & the tomatoes are almost fully ripe. I did not want to harvest them in the heat so I'll get them in the morning.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
The Color Of Tomato
Do you remember the movie called The Color Of Money...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Rabbit Manure for Tomatoes
Hi- There's a guy locally that is selling rabbit manure...
DrMario
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Your 2015 Choices - Fianl Answer !
Have You made up your mind yet, to answer this million...
seysonn
Juliet Grape Tomato
Are these tomatoes supposed to be this big? I guess...
dirtygardener73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™