Migration!

beachplant(9b)April 26, 2013

Yesterday I counted at least 12 different migratory birds in the backyard including Indigo Bunting, Painted bunting, Hummers, Goldfinches, Thrushes, cat birds and more I need to look up.

There are at least 10 hummingbirds feeding off the flowers in the front yard right now. I have the window open and you can hear the just chattering away.

Tally Ho!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantmaven(8b/9a TX)

Sounds great. I have never seen and indigo bunting. We had a painted bunting a few days last week. Guess he flew to your place.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:31AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Or mine, Kathy......I have had a good "bird week" as well. I seldom get to see the goldfinch in all their color, but had a pair of those this week as well as the painted bunting yesterday. One day of lots of hummers at one time. So, all in all ..................a VERY good bird week.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:43AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

And here is a photo Carrie took . Those colors are almost unbelievable! Seeing them always makes me think of when I described one I saw as a little kid my dad didn't believe me ... LOL

Carrie, what kind of bird seed do they prefer?

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:15AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I buy the 40 pound bag at Sam's and ALL my birds seem to like it. It has multiple seeds in it plus peanuts.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 12:05PM
cynthianovak

Saw Eastern Bluebird this week and a Tanager enjoying the fountain this afternoon. Never saw such a really red bird with black on his wings. Wowza!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:34PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

An unusual amount of birds not normally seen at this time of the year................maybe the roller-coaster weather has them confused also.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:40PM
ltcollins1949(9a TX)

I read somewhere that the weather is messing with the birds migration this spring. Thursday I had two indigo buntings in my yard and about two dozen RT hummers. Friday I saw three orioles, a couple of cardinals and two Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks! Also what appeared to be a summer tanager. Great birding season right now!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:41AM
PKponder TX(7b)

I need to take time to do some bird watching!

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Need weed resistant ground cover
Nutsedge is killing me.
judgebes
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™