Year-Round Vines

skiptomydarlinAugust 3, 2006

I would like to create a trellis screen on my balcony to block the view of my neighbors, but I'm not sure what kind of vine to plant. My main concerns are that it do well in a container (flower box) and that it provides a screen all year, even if it doesn't stay in bloom that whole time. I am most interested in morning glory/moon flower, or some form of honeysuckle or jasmine, but I'm not sure how well they would suit my needs. The location would get pretty good sun for most of the day (south-facing). Also, I live in Southern California (San Fernando valley) and have reasonably good weather year-round, but since I am just now undertaking the project, I'm afraid it's too late in the season to plant anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Julian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amyta(z8 mid GA)

Morning glory/moon flower is an annual where I live. May be in your area. I don't know. Confederate jasmine is evergreen and has wonderful smelling, tiny white blooms. It's used often here. It's easy to grow in sun or shade. It has my vote. Fall is generally the best planting season, spring is next. However in your zone you could probably plant now if you keep pouring the water to it. Do a google search on the Confederate jasmine to see pictures.

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 8:41AM
angie83(9)

In your zone passion flowers will bloom all year mine did for 2 years in zone 9.The lavender lady seems to be harder more frail than the red or sky blue.I also had honeysuckle bloom all last year here.But confederate jasmine does have the best smell just slow grower for me but easy to care for no pest and will take alot of water or drought very easy to please.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 6:18PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

A vine that is evergreen here and has nice Spring flowers is the near jasmine relative,some species of Gelsemium. Perhaps sempervirens. I think one sort is called 'Margarita' and another double one called 'Pride of Augusta'. They are yellow flowered, odorless and eventually seem to get top heavy, but are glossy green in all but the coldest temps. Under ideal conditions Spring bloom can be spectacular but short lived.
Here in zone 7, the crossvine stayed green, so might be another choice.
Another evergreen that can have spectacular masses of fragrant white flowers briefly in Spring is Clematis armandi.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Sponsored Products
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5409/2 Pressure Balance Shower Trim - S5409/2BR
$310.92 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Shag Dark Brown/Smoke 8 ft. x
Home Depot
Home Decorators Area Rug: Colette Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Collapsible Round Party Carrier
$19.99 | zulily
Couristan Timeless Treasures Diamond Sarouk Rug - 44540066022811U
$299.00 | Hayneedle