best border plants for summer heat

mimi6859April 13, 2011

I leave in Austin area and need a good border plant for my beds. I prefer a smaller type. And red in color.

I was really interested in the red diathius but a garden guy at the nursery says it is a spring plant, and should not be blooming very much longer. I see them all around as borders and bedding plants in subdivision beds. Any advice? They will receive, sun to partial sun, and low to medium water.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I love dianthus, & in my experience, they bloom on & off until frost.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:58AM
TMc01

My personal favorite is Barberry Pygmy. They do however have thorns...We only prune them 1 time a year in the early spring...we had them as a border plant with the west sun on them...did not seem to bother them...min water still...lots of luck...

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 9:41AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

If your sun is morning sun, Dianthus should work there. They do slow down in mid-summer, start blooming again in the fall and pretty much bloom all winter unless we have a freeze. Mine came through the freeze and are blooming again now. Some of them will die out if they get too hot.

Verbena would work well there too and can take more sun. They are annuals and will need to be replaced each year.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 11:29AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

My verbenas are not annuals. I have a couple I have had for several year and they are blooming right now. I bought a couple of hanging baskets at a discount last year, and ended up relocating the plants to inground. They had verbena in them and both came back strong even after the terrible winter we had. I love Homestead verbena, and it is a perennial.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:43PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

There are some lantanas that are redish, bagonias also, salvia gregiis, salvia coccinias hybrids. Some stay smallish, "Lady in red".

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 8:32AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Carrie - Thanks for the tip on verbena. Mine seem to die out over the winter, but it may be that I don't expect them to return and pull them too soon. I'll be more patient and see.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Carrie: Cardinals Prefer Sun to Eating ...
Carrie says: "Due to a second snow fall we had...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Plant Quiz: What are these?
Here's a quiz. I pulled these seeds from a plant in...
Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™