Vines for indoor art installation

art_to_growAugust 2, 2010

I'm looking for some aggressive, fast growing vines for a piece of indoor artwork/home decor I've just finished.

The piece:

Four 10 foot tree branches appear to sprout out of a 2'x5' base.

The base has a 3" deep rock garden for weight and to hide the apparatus I've used to secure the branches. I'm wanting to use this as a room divider and also a place to hang pictures, holiday cards, etc.

The branches would work great to support vines. I was thinking of putting many small pots near the base and training them up. The area is in moderate light, about 10 ft from a south facing window.

Primarily I'm wanting lots of VINE and not necessarily flowers and foliage. I know plants in the bean family can be like this. I would like a plant that grows fast and leaves a strong vine behind when it dies (grapevine tendrils come to mind).

Second, after I have a good layering of old vines I may look into more foliage heavy plants (pothos seems good for this purpose, but I have an adequate green-thumb, and would love to hear about something a little more exotic or unusual).

Much thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Pothos fills the bill, based on the environment you want it to grow in. Explore this species much more closely - there are exotic and very beautiful members of this group. I have about 4 different ones, but there are many, many I have never even seen, except through a google.com search.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™