anyone grown hige red akahigezaki japanese morning glory?

tammyinwv(z6/WV)August 12, 2009

I just got the seeds for this one.I hope this will be the first of many Japanese Morning Glories for me. I wondered if this one looks as beautiful in person as it does in pics? Any tips for growing this? I think I read not to give fertilizer. What about watering? I thought about waiting till spring, but I wonder if it would be OK, to just start it now in a pot, and keep it there with a tall trellis? Is there much trading for these on GW, I dont think I have seen much posted in exchanges for them, unless I just missed it.

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

Hi Tammy

Wow a red one? I didnt know they came in red.. I have the white scarlet and pink.. I will the experts answer your questions... Neat to know there is a red one..:) Wishing you big blooms...Barb

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 3:52PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

How do you like your white scarlet and pink? Are those 2 different ones? Do these get very many blooms at one time?
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hige

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 5:32PM
karyn1(7a)

I have that one. It's more of a magenta then a true red. It looks just like the pic on the link you posted. I don't do anything different with this one then any of my others. I don't feed often and water when necessary. Honestly I pretty much ignore them. I would hold the seeds and start them in the early spring. If you start them now you probably won't get blooms and it's not a plant that grows well indoors without full spectrum grow lights. There's quite a bit of trading Japanese MG's, including the Hige varieties on the seed exchange. It's a pretty flower. You'll enjoy it.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 6:32PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

karyn1, since their not hardy in my or your zone, do you winter over, or just let them die off in winter and start over?
Tammy

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 7:14PM
karyn1(7a)

I let them die and start more in the spring.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
are ficus pumila bad for stucco walls?
if the building itself is made of wood, and it has...
preppystud
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™