anyone grown hige red akahigezaki japanese morning glory?

tammyinwv(z6/WV)August 12, 2009

I just got the seeds for this one.I hope this will be the first of many Japanese Morning Glories for me. I wondered if this one looks as beautiful in person as it does in pics? Any tips for growing this? I think I read not to give fertilizer. What about watering? I thought about waiting till spring, but I wonder if it would be OK, to just start it now in a pot, and keep it there with a tall trellis? Is there much trading for these on GW, I dont think I have seen much posted in exchanges for them, unless I just missed it.

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

Hi Tammy

Wow a red one? I didnt know they came in red.. I have the white scarlet and pink.. I will the experts answer your questions... Neat to know there is a red one..:) Wishing you big blooms...Barb

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 3:52PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

How do you like your white scarlet and pink? Are those 2 different ones? Do these get very many blooms at one time?
Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Hige

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 5:32PM
karyn1(7a)

I have that one. It's more of a magenta then a true red. It looks just like the pic on the link you posted. I don't do anything different with this one then any of my others. I don't feed often and water when necessary. Honestly I pretty much ignore them. I would hold the seeds and start them in the early spring. If you start them now you probably won't get blooms and it's not a plant that grows well indoors without full spectrum grow lights. There's quite a bit of trading Japanese MG's, including the Hige varieties on the seed exchange. It's a pretty flower. You'll enjoy it.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 6:32PM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

karyn1, since their not hardy in my or your zone, do you winter over, or just let them die off in winter and start over?
Tammy

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 7:14PM
karyn1(7a)

I let them die and start more in the spring.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™