What is eating my peppers and marigolds?

bdm2010April 9, 2010

I planted four different types of pepper plants in my vegetable garden and overnight they were stripped bare the stalk. Okra seedlings in the same garden have been eaten up, but the tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers have not been bothered. There is a series of shiny, webbish lines on the soil around the base of the plants after they've been stripped. Apparently, the same pest chewed up my marigolds in another garden bed because the same webby stuff is on the soil around those stripped stalks.

Any idea what this is, and how to get rid of it? I'm looking forward to getting some more peppers planted but I don't want to just keep feeding this thing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sfmathews(7B/8A)

Sounds like slugs, if there's a slimy trail.
Try some DE (diatomaceous earth) sprinkled around the plants. This should take care of them pretty quickly.
HTH
Susan

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 10:58AM
bdm2010

My first thought was slugs, but the trail looks like it's made of a web rather than slime up close. Also, the trail circles the plant a few times. I do have slugs around after this wet spring, but this doesn't look like any slug trouble I've had before (six years with this garden).

It also seems like quick work for slugs - literally overnight. The slugs have been working on my cucumbers' leaves, but they're not stripping the plants or significantly hindering their growth.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:15AM
bdm2010

Planted a single pepper plant and used the DE last night - SUCCESS! The plant hasn't been chewed on at all. I guess it was the slugs!

Thanks, Susan!

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
garden bed holding to much water?
I have a 8x14 and a 4x14 garden bed . The top of the...
I have 1 1/2 acres to landscape with trees and shrubs help!
My yard is near a park where there are lots of deer...
johnfam
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Rain Event, SE Texas
It doesn't look like we'll be planting our veggie garden...
luvs2plant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™