Voles or Moles?????

plantloverla(z8LA)June 12, 2012

I don't know which critter completely destroyed 2 full-grown tomato vines, but they ate the entire root system as well as knawed through the stem at ground level. I found a burrow opening at the base of one of the vines. Any idea which critter? I don't use poisons...so I really need an organic alternative/deterrent. I have heard that castor oil repels moles....how about cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes in the planting holes????????????????need help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If no sign of raised mound, soil-surface tunnels then it is voles and moles aren't plant eaters anyway. There are all sorts of commercial organic products available for controlling both.

Dave

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:52PM
flower_153(z9 Poway CA)

A gopher finished off one of my plants yesterday, plant just sunk down in the hole. I put the hose down the hole and flushed him out. My Corgi was chasing him when I went in the house, not wanting to see her kill him. I've never had a gopher bother the tomatoe plants before. Good luck with whatever is getting yours.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:56PM
west_texas_peg(8a West Cen TX)

We have Ground Squirrels...nothing has worked with them. Have trapped, used pellet gun, flooded their holes (one goes under our house!), and put poisoned bate in their holes. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 7:29PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)
    Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Supermarket Tomato Plants
I planted a few seeds from Supermarket tomatoes because...
garf_gw
Even when you do everything right
Started an entire flat of various tomato seeds: sterilized...
grow_life
topping off tomato plants?
My heirloom tomato plants are usually tall and robust...
blaferby
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Ideas for paste varieties
I plan grow san marzano.; but need to think about a...
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™