Siamese eggs (shell less of course)

1234carlosApril 6, 2014

Some time ago I posted reporting a "rare" event: three shell less eggs in one day. Several member answered. Thank you all.
Most likely causes:
1) Lack of Ca: The eggs, when shelled, have an extraordinary strong shell.
2) Inappropriate nutrition: I am giving them pellets for laying hens (May I say the brand in this forum?) and oysters shell. Besides lots of greens from my garden (100% organic): spinach, beets, collards, kale... you name it.
3) Inappropriate housing: The coop is 8'X3'X8' half open in one side. The coop is securely closed after they perched and open very early in the morning. The chickens enjoy an area of more than 600 square feet.

With this flock, all of them ameraucanas, the frequency of shell less is more than once a week.
Now, I have had chickens before and have seen shell less eggs and dwarf eggs from time to time. But I have never seen this kind of siamese phenomenon nor this high frequency of shell less eggs. Have any of you? Do ameraucanas have this kind of problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)

I'm afraid that I can't help you with your problem, but we had ameraucanas when I was growing up. I was the main egg collector, and I don't remember ever seeing shell less eggs. So unless the breed is different today than it used to be, I don't think that the breed is prone to this problem. Hopefully someone else can give you some helpful ideas.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:33PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I've been watching the threads on this subject with interest hoping there would be a solution to the problem. Since the condition is so unusual I'm wondering if it might be a genetic disorder. If you purchased the chicks at the same time they may be related or even from the same hen. Keep us posted.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 10:25AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I googled "shell less chicken eggs genetic causes" and this came up. You may have already seen it, but it not, see below.

I do hope it is not genetics and the situation improves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Many causes of shell less eggs including genetics ...

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Everybody Ready for the Deep Freeze?
I *almost* am. watered the potted plants & put...
sylviatexas2
Has anyone checked out the best place to get flagstone ....
Has anybody checked out the best place to get flagstones...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™