Chocolate Clematis...mixing vines?

nate9300August 26, 2009

I really the flowers and foliage of the Chocolate Vine (Akebia quinata) and think it would look good next to the flower of a Clematis. Is there any risk in planting these next to each other and intertwining the vines? I know that the Akebia quinata is rather vigorous, so I would need to control it to be sure it didn't suffocate the Clematis, but is there any other reason why I shouldn't be mixing these two?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Is either species susceptible to leaf rust or other pathogens like rust? If there isn't good air flow through the leaves you might get conditions (damp stagnant leaves) for that type of infection to get started. That's what happens with Japanese morning glories so has been my experience.

Joseph

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 2:52PM
nate9300

Thanks for the insight, Joseph - I would not of thought of that. I'll research this before deciding to plant both together.

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 11:58AM
jerryngeorgia31557(8)

Would you happen to have some of the seeds? I would like to have a share or trade of some. Please email me. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 1:34AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

The akebia will be too vigorous and take all the water and nutrients from most clematis so I personally wouldn't plant them together. If you do try it, you might want to try a clematis that is very vigorous and a type I or II since the type IIIs will need to be pruned each year. One of the clematis montanas could easily overpower the akebia, but even it would need extra water and nutrients until well established.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 6:38AM
ingridkl(6)

I have an Akebia and a Clematis alpina together. I take some of the vines from the Akebia each year, but they are going fine together.-

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™