Wisteria

greenlydiaAugust 8, 2007

I grew a massive Wisteria vine up the side of my WOOD house which I know is a bad thing. I grew it from a seed a friend gave me, never really thinking it would amount to much, but when it reached 30 feet, I knew I had planted a magic seed! Our insurance people came out and the first thing they said was that the Wisteria had to come down or they would cancel our policy! The Wisteria WAS doing damage to the shingles......sending shoots underneath and causing them to pull away, but the insurance company said it was a huge fire hazard. Whatever. I waited until it had finished blooming and then with hanky in hand, my husband took his chain saw (yes, the trunk was that big!) and down it all came. That was two years ago and what was left was just this massive intertwined pair of stumps. I didn't get around to digging them out that year but I was sure it was dead. To my utter surprise, one of those trunks is now putting out a huge amount of new growth and I've got Wisteria vines growing 25 feet out into the yard as I'm doing all I can to keep them off the house. Boy I can be long winded at times and all I would like someone to tell me is WHEN should I transplant this beauty to a new home away from the house with an arbor all its own? Is it too late this summer? Should I wait till Fall or Spring? I can't believe it came back but I do believe the insurance company will.............Any and all advice is really welcome! Thanks so much in advance.

Linda

More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Lonicera sempervirens on house?
I just found 'Major Wheeler' and bought it before having...
northraleighguy
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Sponsored Products
City Scene Raindance Wisteria Cotton 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Purple Tiffany Wisteria Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Levelo Outdoor Art
Grandin Road
Renoir's Red Cedar Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Arteriors Home - Wisteria Mirror - DK9950
Great Furniture Deal