Crepe Myrtle 'Razzle Dazzle'

alameda/zone 8April 18, 2011

I bought 2 of these Razzle Dazzles a couple of years ago. They barely bloom......are late leafing out - the plants are healthy, but the leaves are small and I dont see much point to them. They sure dont look like the photos - and I dont see them offered anymore. Mine are in full sun in good soil and are properly watered. I am going to move them to pots and put more roses in that bed. Can anyone comment on these crepe myrtles? Thanks.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I feel your frustration. I'm done buying "new cultivars" of plants - especially those that take several years to establish and "show their stuff" No more. If they haven't been on the market at least 5 years and have developed a good reputation, I'll wait. I got a "dwarf" lol! loropetalum 4 years ago and I have to prune it way back every year cause it's NOT dwarf! I've spent so much money on stuff I've had to toss after a couple of years - ahhh - I could be retired by now!

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 3:33PM
calverttx

Ditto. I bought 3 about 3 years ago. There was an article in Neil Sperry and I could not wait to get them. $16.99 each. Big mistake. I lost one this year, it just never came out. The other two have leafed out but do not look great.
The blooms last year were not impressive at all. Now they are just fillers until I replace them. All plants have become to expensive to experiment with.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 5:50PM
alameda/zone 8

Well, I am not surprised - I had a feeling I was not the only one displeased. The leaves, though not unattractive, are very tiny. Mine had a few sporadic blooms last year but certainly nothing like the photos showed! Plus they have gotten bigger than I anticipated. I have a hard time ditching a plant I paid good money for and that is still thriving.....I will just move them to a spot that is not center stage - where they are now. Almost bought a few more - am certainly glad I didnt! They need to go back to the drawing board on this one - instead of Razzle Dazzle, they need to call it Fizzle Drizzle.....

Thanks for replies! If anyone has a photo of this plant in full bloom, like all the hype, I would love to see it!

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
Is your Satsuma loaded this year?
Mine isn't, but there's one pictured on the Texas gallery...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Setting your profile to let people message you ...
With the old GW my preferences were set to let everyone...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™