A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Carribean

pjames(8/LA)September 26, 2010

I just returned for a 7 day cruise. As you sit at supper, you talk to different peopleeach night. Sometimes the talk turned to gardening.. I talked about what I had planted and how I gre it etc,,, then I looked over to my wife and could see she was silently praying " Lord, don't let him tell about his damn worms!!!!"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mendopete

So did you bring it up? Maybe over a drink at the bar?
I have been busy offshore albacore fishing and have totally neglected my herd! But I have 65 tuna in the freezer.
I hope you had a great trip. Pete

Bookmark   September 26, 2010 at 9:50PM
equinoxequinox

We'll listen to your worm stories pjames.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 12:06AM
plumiebear(z9? CA)

Pat: My guess is gardeners would probably be a sympathetic audience...unless they were the hoity toity type. You could always approach it sideways and talk about vermicompost first. When they ask you where you buy the VC, you can tell them you've got thousands of working worms that make it for you.

Pete: Wow! Lemme know if you need help eating any of those. It's only a 5 hr. drive from Berkeley to Mendocino. lol. just kidding. Enjoy!

Andrew

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 1:54AM
pjames(8/LA)

Pete..I think I'd have rather been with you... I could still drink beer in between fishing...

I brought up composting but got some blank stares.. so I figured the worms were out...

Good to be back though. Already did an inspection of all my bins and a short harvest on 3 of them

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 6:07PM
equinoxequinox

Nothing like 10 days away and no new food additions to really make the worms concentrate on finishing off the almost ready compost into vermicastings. It is like a present they have ready for you when you get home.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 11:47PM
mendopete

Pat, worms really were not discussed or even brought up offshore. Rapalas and tuna-clones were the preferred bait.
My second "worm-cage" has been unfed since inception several months back. I built it over a nice pile of aged horse manure. I have hosed it down maybe 6 times. All worms answered roll-call! I will tumble the goods soon. All other wormerys here have thrived on inattention.

Happy wormin' Pete

Bookmark   September 28, 2010 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
yuk
look at the second banner: all about building &...
barbararose21101
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™