I have a worm bin in the kitchen!!

pjames(8/LA)September 6, 2010

.....and my wife does not realize it yet. Yesterday, I was sorting cocoons for another newbie who wanted to get started with worms. I had a large number of very small juveniles in the sifted compost. I collected cocoons into one plastic cup and worms into another.n When I saw I had so many tiny worms, I decided to just start another bin instead of returning them to the parent flow-thru.

Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness that ask permission.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyhoosierworms

Congrats on the new arrivals! And much success with the kitchen bin! I love mine and I'm thinking of getting a second one.

Women amaze me (and I'm one of them) that they have no qualms about cleaning up after children - and we all know how "fragrant" that can be at times - yet they are completely grossed out by worms and food scraps.

Me, I'll take the worms any day. Good luck on the new bin! Give the newbies the last bit of watermelon for the year as a birthday present!

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 5:54PM
merrygardener(z8olywa)

Ohhhhh! Where? what type of bin? Do share the details!

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 6:42PM
PRO
equinoxequinox

That would seem to be the most efficient place for them.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 7:00PM
mendopete

Way to go PJ!! Great idea. I also believe in the "beg for forgiveness" theory. How do you plan to "hide" it?

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 9:34PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I once had a worm bin under the kitchen sink. A girlfriend tossed it out. Persons on the forums suggested it should be a very simple matter to replace - the girlfriend.

Replacing a spouse might be more difficult.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 1:15PM
pjames(8/LA)

Pete: Actually, it is hiding in plain sight. I have a cat litter box in one corner and next to it are a couple boxes (beer, cold drinks, etc). I have an empty litter bucket that I use to drop vacuum dust into.. (I use a Dyson so it is easier to drop the trap door over a bucket of some sort than into the trash. Dust stays contained better that way). I figure one more bucket won't be noticed. And if it is, I'll haul it to the back room.

This is a simple kitty litter bucket with 7/64 in vent holes around the top edge. I put a little wet shredded cardboard in the bottom. I plan to drop whatever goes into my kitchen scrap collection bucket into this bin as is. No shredding, tearing,blending etc...whole paper napkins and paper towels. Whatever food goes in as is. The only thing I will take outside to precompost is meat and dairy because I don't want it to smell too bad (right away anyway).

Albert: You are right-it's a little more difficult to replace an un-cooperative spouse. Especially when she knows the magic word---HALF!!! LOL

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
best VC recipe to start plants in greenhouse?
I'm going to start seedlings in a high tunnel and was...
chazz1100
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
Sponsored Products
Pyramid Dining Side Chair in Orange
$120.00 | LexMod
Besa Milo 4 Pendant 3JC Light with Green Glass - 3JC-MILO4GR-BR
$382.50 | Hayneedle
Quick-Dry Striped Towels Set - Multicolor
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
POLYWOOD Homestead Patio Dining Set
Fifthroom.com
Casserole Dish
$290.00 | Horchow