blue & purple berries--need ID help!

catlady4444(7)August 29, 2008

Hello,

I have no idea how to post photos, but I hope my description will be distinctive enough that someone can ID the vine I saw today! (I can email a photo to anyone, just can't post it here!) It was growing wild in a rural area in central Maryland. It has stiff but not woody stems, heart shaped, serrated edged leaves, and most importantly: a profusion of berries! They seem to be very light green when unripe, progressing to pale BLUE and then bright purple! I have never seen anything like it ...the berries are so amazing!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Might it be a Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (Porcelain Berry)? They are common around here and actually considered an invasive species. I'm in Montgomery Co., MD. BTW you can use one of the image hosting sites to post pics here. I use Photobucket which is free.
Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain Berry

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 8:52AM
catlady4444(7)

that is absolutely it!! Invasive....how sad.... I guess I should dump the cutting I put in water. It is so beautiful...and if the birds like the berries, how bad can it be?? OK, I'll dump it.
THANKS KARYN!!

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 11:34AM
karyn1(7a)

You don't have to get rid of it. Just be careful where it's planted and keep an eye on it. There's a variegated variety that has the same berries but variegated foliage that many people grow.
Karyn

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™