Looking for vines that come up early in spring
Have a trellis against a garage, behind a daylily bed. The daylilies get large pretty quickly in spring, so I am looking for a vine (or vines) for this trellis that will start to grow at about the same time so it doesn't have to struggle with the dense shade of the daylily leaves as it emerges.
Full sun, and the trellis is 8' wide.
Ideally the vine would be one (or more!) of the following:
- very fragrant (enough to travel; nobody's going to tromp through a daylily bed to stick their nose in a flower!)
- have very beautiful flowers
- not white (it's against a white garage)
- attractive to hummingbirds
- attractive to butterflies
- host plant for butterflies in zone 6
- produce edible fruit
I do have passionflower already, so that one is covered (although that emerges late).