can you keep vermicompost uncovered?

CelbriseSeptember 11, 2012

i have a 5gal bucket i am composting in and it's uncovered in my room and the surface often gets dry during the day. i know i have a single worm in that bucket and im trying to keep it alive just to help with composting and in hopes it will lay eggs or theirs more worms but i highly doubt it.

anyways is it a good idea to keep it uncovered like this? the middle for sure is moisture and i often spray the surface with water and check it's moist.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Covered or uncovered is fine. In an uncovered bin, the top will not decompose as fast.

Odds are that you have more than 1 worm. in a month or two you will may see more worms.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 10:24AM
colin3

You need at least two worms for eggs -- they're hermaphrodites, but you still need more than one. If you want to start, I'd really suggest getting at least a few hundred red wrigglers and letting them go at it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 11:21AM
Celbrise

no i doubt i have more then 1 as this pile is indoors and their is no way i could of gotten more then 1 unless it is pregnant or something.

and yes i know i need more then 1 for eggs. i was just composting in the bucket and saw the one worm so i thought i'd keep it alive and see what happens. i will eventually be buying some worms maybe next month

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:10PM
equinoxequinox

It is also possible to peek into an outdoor kitchen compost bin and find some for free. Maybe not 1,000 but maybe 100.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Need few red worms / red wigglers to start composting near torrance, C
Hi all, We recently moved to Torrance, CA. I need...
vidnand
Coffee grounds and pine shavings?
I've ordered a pound of worms (E. hortensis) and have...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™