can I add urine to my vermicompost?

CelbriseSeptember 21, 2012

technically it's a regular compost bin in a 5gal bucket atm waiting for money to come in so i can buy my worms but i do have some worms/millipedes in the bin atm. although the bin is moist it won't stay moist forever i mean probably within like 2-3 weeks it will dry out.

i was wondering if i could add urine to the bin or will this kill off my worms/millipedes?

i know urine works well with compost as i use it on my outdoor pile it's been doing great adds nitrogen and waters it at the same time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Urine also has salts. You do not want to add salt to the bin.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 12:08PM
Celbrise

hm yea thought about that don't want to kill off the bugs

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 8:00PM
Vimaladevi

The urine will also breakdown into ammonia either killing the worms or driving them out of the bin. The best way to capture & utilize the nitrogen in urine is like you said in a separare compost heap. But if you plan on using that pre-compost material as worm bedding/feed there maybe an accumulation of salts so it would be best to cut that composted material with fresh bedding material (low in salt).
There's a great book by Thomas Jason Barrett on vermi-composting, it's the ONLY book that focuses on harnessing the earthworm for building soil, everything else focus on cultivating worms for the commercial bait industry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrett's Book

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™