Hyacinth bean

shillanorth Z4 ABOctober 4, 2013

Anybody growing this and how does it behave in northern regions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sorie6(6b ok.)

I grew it when I lived in Colo. But it was an annual. Did great tho. Have a friend in Ohio and she grows it there.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 9:46PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I save the seed of Dolichos labab from year to year. Easy to grow, and the seed pods are as much a feature of its beauty as the flowers. Especially if positioned where the Sun is behind the vines.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 8:05PM
kioni(3)

I've grown it the past three summers and love the purple hues in the stems and leaves, flowers are lovely and the beans so sweet.

This past summer: started indoors, planted out first week in June (after frost danger has passed) into a pot - they require warmth (heat). Never did well in the ground, just sat all summer. By the end of September the ones in the pot had grown approx 12-15 feet in height. We had a strange summer with less heat than normal, so they did well. We typically have a killing frost mid to end of September if that gives you a timeline. Pods produced beans, but they were smaller than the purchased seed - probably needed more time to develop. I'm going to grow that seed next year to see if there's any difference from the store bought.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 11:46PM
christine1950

I just picked up a package of seeds today. I have grown them in the past and they did very well. I started in the house in peat pots and when the weather was warm enough I put them into a large container with a trellis. I have never eaten the beans I was under the assumption they are toxic.
Christine

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™