keeping bin warm

smwithersSeptember 28, 2008

I'm getting ready to set up my Can O Worms bin this month. Helping a friend sort her worms and she's giving me half to get started. I have a crawl space under the house that I can stand up in. This is where are I am thinking of setting up the bin. I am a little concerned over the temps we have here in winter in NC. I have a light in the crawl space. Thinking of using a flood light with the bin near it to keep the bin the optimal temp. Planning to use a thermometer in the bin to monitor this winter until I get the temp/placement of the bin near the light just right. Anyone else used this same kind of location/warmth for the bin? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

Is it protected from the wind? I'm guessing the crawl space might get pretty darn cold. They'll stay alive but not active at the bottom of their comfort range. What species are they?

You could try a garden heating mat w/ thermostat under neath to keep them comfortable. It might work better than the light bulb. The light bulb could do the trick in a closed space though. I'd be wary of fire hazard what ever you do. You could insulate w/ straw bales also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat mats

Bookmark   October 1, 2008 at 2:28PM
mndtrp

I would insulate with insulation. Maybe a water heater blanket that Home Depot was trying to push on me last time I was there.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 5:37PM
captaindirt(6/7)

When I was talking to them at Homedepot I was told that a R-19 insulation should do the trick for an outside bin I was thinking of.

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 11:14PM
computergardener(z7 NC)

I live in Raleigh. Although I have a similar crawl space I am going to keep my worms in my garage. Now that my babies are eating, mating and just enjoying themselves I don't want to slow them down.

I have had my bin for a few months and I have no smell or flies, so it passes the wife test.

Good luck...

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™