Piper nigrum

bgp_123September 4, 2012

I was finally able to get five Piper nigrum seeds germinated in early Feb. Three had red stems, two green, leaves ere similar but a little different. They are all potted in the greenhouse. The three red stemmed ones are loaded with peppercorms but every thing I read on the subject states that it takes 3-4 years for them to produce. What is happening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Do you have a pic? Are you sure that you have Piper nigrum and not Malabar spinach?

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 9:11AM
bgp_123

No, they are not malibar spinach. I have that in the garden. I will attempt to send a picture.( When my wife has time)

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 12:49PM
bgp_123

This is a picture of the piper nigrum I mentioned earlier.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 6:36PM
karyn1(7a)

That is Malabar spinach, not Piper nigrum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Piper nigrum images

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 9:11AM
karyn1(7a)

I should have added that you can use the Malabar berries in salads and other dishes. They have a bit of a peppery flavor. Be careful when you pick them as they will stain your fingers purple. Many people enjoy the foliage and young stems. The flavor is ok but I can't stand the texture. It's mucilaginous, like okra.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 9:20AM
bgp_123

karyn1,
Thank you, you are right, it is Malibar spinach. Due to our drought and so many days over 100, the M. spinach in the garden does not resemble this one, plus the garden ones have never produced fruit.I agree with you on the texture but I love okra, especially boiled. Go figure.Again thanks for the info although I am devastated that I no longer haver Piper nigrum. Guess I need to stop re-using my germinating medium!

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 12:24PM
karyn1(7a)

I always reuse my potting mix and this year I have passion vines coming up in everything. You see an empty pot sitting around for months and figure there's nothing in it.....wrong. lol I know loads of folks that like okra. I'm just not one of them. The slimy texture gets me every time.

Piper nigrum is pretty easy to root. I don't have any now but you might want to post on the exchange and see if anyone can send you some.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™