need help/ideas on constructing a worm bin

CelbriseSeptember 29, 2012

i been vermicomposting well i wouldn't say vermicomposting since their isn't a lot of worms in general just a very slim few.

anyways i been doing it in a 5 gal bucket and i want to move it to a more shallow yet wide container and i got a good one. a cooler an old wooden cooler we never use im not sure if it has a spiget or anything but it's just a regular cooler but wooden.

now i do NOT own a drill so i was wondering is their ANY way i can aerate this bin while leaving the lid on? i don't want to remove the lid and screen it or something i want to modify the lid so i can allow air in.

again i do NOT have access to a drill i would lvoe to drill holes in it to make it easier but i can't don't have money nor neighbors who have one any ideas?

the outside is wood but the cooler itself is the plastic cooler like thing so the wood won't rot or decay.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mr_yan

Is this to be indoors or outside?

Why keep the plastic at all?

Yes the wood will rot out over time but wood in good shape to start with will last a few years, longer if it is hardwood.

If you just have a plastic bin and need to put holes in it use a large nail and a hammer and punch holes in it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Celbrise

it will be an indoor bin. it can't be kept outdoor it will fry the worms it gets too hot outdoors not are their any shaded areas at my house.

it's a wooden cooler. basically you take one of those large plastic white containers build a wooden frame around it and thats how it is. the wood and plastic are fused together with glue most likely it's a beer cooler novelty cooler it's not 2 seperate coolers to begin with it's both plastic and wooden. the frame is wooden the cooler is plastic.

i will try to find a large nail and hammering it in hopefully this works i will try this tomorrow after school i need to make a new worm bin and a bigger one as well

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Horse Manure Magic
After vermicomposting the waste of our horses for the...
mendopete
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
I've Got Worms!
In my cold Worm Inn. Lots and lots of squirmy worms....
equinoxequinox
Sponsored Products
Afina Signature Contemporary Lighted Triple Door 47W x 40H in. Recessed Medicine
Hayneedle
Whitehaus Collection Aeri 21.75W x 21.75H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet WHA
Hayneedle
White Classic 500-Thread Count Down Comforter
$129.99 | zulily
Salsbury Industries Lockers 71000 Series 12 in. W x 78 in. H x 12 in. D Single
Home Depot
Sanders Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Strip Framed Square Mirror
bryght.com
Kubus Style Loveseat
IFN Modern
Batik BAT02 Metal Gray Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug