How Do You Kill Ivy?

KathyNC7aSeptember 6, 2013

Sorry. I'm sure that this question has been asked before and I tried to find the answer in search but I got a gazillion hits and just don't have all day to read them all.

We recently moved into a new house and a fair 50% of our property is covered in ivy. It's a chore just to keep it "under control." We'd also like the space consumed by it to plant beneficial edibles like fruit trees and bushes, grain, etc.

Is there a way to get rid of this stuff? It appears to have been here for a very long time.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Depends how established it is.....but I would try digging it out and if it resprouts, spray it with round up brush killer....

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:54PM
gardengal48

Manual removal is really the only 100% effective method but it requires both considerable elbow grease and persistence.

English is a noxious weed in the PNW and its removal is highly encouraged. I've attached a link from a local agency that has excellent info as well as control suggestions.

ps. besides the obvious, another good reason for removing ivy is that it provides an excellent habitat for vermin......most specifically rats!

Here is a link that might be useful: English ivy control

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 5:06PM
beckyinrichmond

Last fall I removed English ivy, lots of it, trying to get every sprig out of the yard. It had even crept halfway across the yard in spots. I just sat down on the ground and pulled it up, following the vines back to roots. Some of this ivy had been in place for probably 60 years. It came up easily. I think the ground was fairly soft from recent rains. I just used my hands, though I kept a trowel nearby to use if needed. Ended up with a pile in the alley about five feet high, ten feet long, and the city came out with a truck that had claws on a crane and they scooped it up. This year there has been no ivy except where it's trying to come back in from neighbors' yards. I pull up all intruders as soon as I see them.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™