What weed is this

bluehaven_gweb(8)April 8, 2014

This weed which looks like grass is overtaking my bermuda lawn. What is it & how to get rid of it? Please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynn Marie

That's annual winter rye grass (or something like that). It will die when it gets hot, but it will be back next winter unless you put out a pre-emergent in the fall. Nothing you can really do now.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:19PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Yes, that's what it looks like to me too. Applying pre-emergents in the fall help a lot. Plus if you have the time and energy you can pull it before it goes to seed. Seeds from the neighbors might still blow in so I go on the search early in the year and pull every little sprout.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:26PM
bluehaven_gweb(8)

Will Weed B Gone help? We did put in a pre-emergent in feb this year.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 9:40PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Pre-emergents help, but it's difficult to catch every seed. Plus application timing is critical. Some of the seeds may have germinated by Feb.

Weed-b-gone is a broad leaf weed killer and won't work on grasses. There is a Grass-b-gone that does a good job of killing grass, but it will also kill Burmuda grass. In fact, it's great for killing Burmuda grass! If you apply it very carefully to only the weed grass it will just kill a small patch of Burmuda grass around the weed grass, but if you're going to get down that close you may as well just pull it.

I know it's not easy and it's takes some time, but it's the only way I know of at this point. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Changes
This is really different.
loispi
That time again....Texas Forum Roll Call!!!!
I've really enjoyed meeting a lot of new people on...
remuda1
Waxahachie Swap April 11 2015
We'll meet somewhere around 9 AM or so at Brown Singleton...
sylviatexas2
Pears for North Texas
I would like to plant a Pear tree that has sweet crisp...
ruthz
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™