is it better to chop up food scraps?

CelbriseSeptember 18, 2012

just wondering is it better to drop up food scraps/blend it up or simply just feed to the worms whole? i usually feed it whole and it doesn't decompose fast enough maybe after a week it starts growing mold but it still smells and pretty much looks like what it is besides the color.

just wondering what other people do i mean i see people blend it up and all that i see some people don't just wondering if their is a better way then what i am doing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boreal_wormer(Alta Canada)

The finer the material is chopped/blended the more surface area it has and the faster it decomposes. Worms feed on the products of decomposition (mold, etc) not the original material.

Personally I also chop up food scraps to make it easier to 'pocket feed' in my RubberMaid bin.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:35PM
digger10r

For what it's worth I always chop the food into small pieces.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:50PM
Celbrise

i guess i will start blending the food up them. i have been feeding whole the little worms i got which is only like 3 worms atm and after a week i still find this slightly black banana peel still as big as day 1 -.-"

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:19PM
PeterK2

The general rule of thumb is worms eat half their body weight in food a day. So for three worms.....

So you're not going to have a problem with food not rotting quickly enough to feed three worms :).

Anyway, I chop large food into smaller chunks just so I can fit them into a container in the freezer. I've never blended. BTW, red wigglers love sitting between the peels of a banana.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:09PM
Celbrise

1 of my worms ran away doubt it was because of the pile but because i didn't have a lid.

anyways since i now have worms maybe even none idk i don't seen any worms but i see my millipedes they seem to eat the rotting food. i now just blend it up stick it in a container room temp it grows mold pretty fast should break down fast as well which can be very beneficial i just blend it in a food processor saves up space as well.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 6:39PM
chickencoupe

I blend their food, add a touch of molasses, a touch of oatmeal and a touch of alfalfa pellets (all well blended).

I set the blender aside with a lid on it for 2 or 3 days.

Then, I add it to the bin. It is usually gone within 24 hours.

Keeps the bugs down and makes the worms happy.

bon

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
Our new home, seems to me, needs new blood. So...from square one.....
.......one of my old beginner vermi-blogs. http://wormscan.blogspot.com/...
chuckiebtoo
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
How many worms
I am starting my first worm bin out of a 18 gal tote....
brad71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™