is it better to chop up food scraps?

CelbriseSeptember 18, 2012

just wondering is it better to drop up food scraps/blend it up or simply just feed to the worms whole? i usually feed it whole and it doesn't decompose fast enough maybe after a week it starts growing mold but it still smells and pretty much looks like what it is besides the color.

just wondering what other people do i mean i see people blend it up and all that i see some people don't just wondering if their is a better way then what i am doing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boreal_wormer(Alta Canada)

The finer the material is chopped/blended the more surface area it has and the faster it decomposes. Worms feed on the products of decomposition (mold, etc) not the original material.

Personally I also chop up food scraps to make it easier to 'pocket feed' in my RubberMaid bin.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:35PM
digger10r

For what it's worth I always chop the food into small pieces.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 8:50PM
Celbrise

i guess i will start blending the food up them. i have been feeding whole the little worms i got which is only like 3 worms atm and after a week i still find this slightly black banana peel still as big as day 1 -.-"

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:19PM
PeterK2

The general rule of thumb is worms eat half their body weight in food a day. So for three worms.....

So you're not going to have a problem with food not rotting quickly enough to feed three worms :).

Anyway, I chop large food into smaller chunks just so I can fit them into a container in the freezer. I've never blended. BTW, red wigglers love sitting between the peels of a banana.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 11:09PM
Celbrise

1 of my worms ran away doubt it was because of the pile but because i didn't have a lid.

anyways since i now have worms maybe even none idk i don't seen any worms but i see my millipedes they seem to eat the rotting food. i now just blend it up stick it in a container room temp it grows mold pretty fast should break down fast as well which can be very beneficial i just blend it in a food processor saves up space as well.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 6:39PM
chickencoupe

I blend their food, add a touch of molasses, a touch of oatmeal and a touch of alfalfa pellets (all well blended).

I set the blender aside with a lid on it for 2 or 3 days.

Then, I add it to the bin. It is usually gone within 24 hours.

Keeps the bugs down and makes the worms happy.

bon

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
Come Out and Play, Worming Friends!
Please oh please don't go! I think we can adjust to...
Merrygardener
Cardboard Shredding, Shredding Cardboard
Hello everyone, I have a tiny space in town and cannot...
iamlook
Worried about my worms
I'm in zone 9. Coastal Texas. I have my bin well established...
greenwater87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™