Jasmine not thriving

deborahb_gardenerSeptember 9, 2012

Hello,

I have two pots with confederate jasmine that are not thriving.

Though they give the occasional bloom, they are shedding leaves and not growing, either vertically or laterally. I have had them five months now and they were bushier when I got them.

I think there is something wrong.

I am thinking of repotting them, as I never liked that potting soil (it seems too insubstantial and gets wet and stays almost damp, certainly airy, even under hot sun.)

Btw, what do people think about these pots that have the plate attached and an opening at the bottom? They are practical but I wonder if they cause problems--though they do have a draining system.

But I do not want to plant them in the ground, as I am not sure they will last through the winter, if we get a bad one, so I wanted to have them grow inside for their first year or so.

I got them in the spring.

I have attached pictures.

Any ideas most welcome!

Deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Where in Virginia are you (zone wise)? I planted mine in the ground. Very, very, very vigorous in the ground btw--almost weedy! They should be hardy to zone 7a. At this time in the year though, I would not plant it into the ground as it might not have time to establish itself. Sounds like your soil is the problem.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 4:41PM
deborahb_gardener

Thank you!

I am in Charlottesville. Would it be a problem if I repotted them now? I do not like that soil...

I am also skeptical about those pots. Of the three things I have planted there, only one pothos has survived!

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 4:50PM
subtropix

I checked and your area is listed as Zone 7b. I would transplant now into a different container w. better soil but not into the ground as your plant is already struggling-- winter would be too much for it at this point. These are really robust vines. Have mine on a fence that has to compete with kiwi which is also quite vigorous let's say. If you do plant into te ground, wait until mid spring when your vine should be growing vigorously.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 5:27PM
deborahb_gardener

njoasis: thank you!
that sounds right.

my only question now is a simple one. what is better soil? i used potting soil by miracle gro, but i think it is not solid enough. but ground soil is meant to be mixed with existing soil and ours has a lot of clay and is not good.

so any suggestiongs most welcome!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™