Rust on MG foliage?

karyn1(7a)September 13, 2009

Are MG's susceptible to rust? I have a Japanese MG vine that has what appears to be rust killing the foliage and I see it's spreading to the calyx around the seed pods. I didn't get a pic but can get one later if necessary. I was just wondering if they did get rust as I've never seen it on an MG before.

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmagrace2

Hi Karyn -

Yes, Morning Glories are very susceptible to Rust.
First thing you need to do is remove all of the leaves that have Rust - it may turn out that you will eventually end up removing them all. However, the plant will produce new leaves. Hopefully yours is in a pot. If it is you need to move it away from your other MGs. Also, when you are removing the leaves - DONÂT TOUCH ANYTHING until you wash your hands, as it can spread very easily this way too.

If you donÂt at least remove the leaves, they will be the ugliest of anything you will see, plus the leaves will die anyways after they have turned yellow to brown them crumble up, so by removing the leaves infected with Rust, there is less chance for it to go to other plants.
RUST IS A GARDENER'S NIGHTMARE.

This is the very first year that I have not had Rust on my MGs, and I am very sure it is because I use several Bayer products. If you are interested, I will need to ask Jerry which he used. One is VERY strong and you will need to wear a mask, the other two were not as strong so far as the smell of the chemical. Anytime you spray, it should be just before dark so you do not kill any bees. I swear by Bayer, and they are coming out with more and more great products.

Another product that we have used successfully is Copper Sulphate.

Ron talks a lot about using Copper Sulphate
I will need to get the dilution ratio to use from Jerry. I think it is 7%

Here is the Bayer link that I did a search on of ÂRustÂ
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/solutionCenter.cfm?q=Rust&x=13&y=6

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Rose-Flower-Care/

This is what we last bought for spider mites that are starting to come around, plus they are horrible every year in my Greenhouse
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/3-in-1-Insect-Disease-and-Mite-Control/

Another thing we did this spring was sprayed the soil in all flower beds where I would be growing my MGs with Copper Sulphate

Emma

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 1:06PM
karyn1(7a)

Thanks Emma. It is a container plants but I just disposed of it, bagged and in the trash, not the compost pile. It's getting pretty late in the season anyway and they probably only have about 3-4 weeks before the first frost. I've never seen rust on a MG before. I wonder if it's because we've had so much cool wet weather this year?

The only chemical control I use are miticides, Forbid and Floramite and only used them as a last resort because I had Broad Mites on my brugs. I try not to use anything, even horticultural oils. That's one of the reasons I don't grow roses. I think it's next to impossible to not get Black Spot and Powdery Mildew on roses in this area, even resistent varieties and I won't use fungicides.

I'm not a radical crunchy person. lol I just have loads of critters in the garden and my children are around the plants all the time so I stay away from most chemicals.

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 7:48PM
gerris2

I have this ugly rust disease on my JMG vines. Emma, you are so right about what the leaves look like; the leaves are just hanging like limp black fractions of their former selves after the rain we had this past week.

Can the rust infection hang on seeds collected from these plants? If so, is there a protocol for disinfection of the seeds?

Joseph

Bookmark   September 14, 2009 at 8:57AM
emmagrace2

Joseph,
Yes, the Rust disease really is Ugly - plus it spreads quickly.

I don't know if the Rust infects the seeds . . . however, a very good question that I too would like to know about.

Emma

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 11:22AM
More Discussions
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
Growing Moonflower Vine seeds soak and nick?
I received a couple of moon flower vine seeds (that's...
carolinabeach
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™