Snapdragons dying

Talkathon(8)April 24, 2011

I'm new to gardening in Austin, TX. I planted snapdragons, petunias, and pansies in the fall. They all made it through winter and were looking great the last month. In the last couple of weeks my snapdragons' flowers have started dying off. I've been watering every other day and feeding with the liquid feed. One of the snapdragons had a mold-looking like thing on it. I don't know if they all "disease" or what's going on with them. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

It sounds like overwatering combined with fertilizer while stressed. Do not water until the ground is dry down 2"(check with a stick or your finger) and don't ferilize stressed plants. I can't tell if they have a disease without a picture, but others on here are better at diagnosing from description than I am.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 2:38PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

The secret to growing snapdragons, is snap off the dead heads, once they have bloomed. If you don't do this, then the stem will die back. They are so easy to snap off. It took me years to figure this out. Barbra

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 3:16PM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

Snapdragons prefer cooler weather and it has been hotter than normal this year. The heat will definitely slow them down in the summer. Pansies will completely die out in summer and will need to be replaced in the fall.

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Setting your profile to let people message you ...
With the old GW my preferences were set to let everyone...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™