German Queen Tomato Question

jcrowder(7)June 9, 2011

I was looking at my German Queen Tomato plants last evening and noticed that they seem to be forming in clusters of 6 or so. Am I supposed to pinch a couple off to make room for the others to grow? They are so close together! They can't possibly get as big as they are supposed to all jammed up together like they are!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

Jennifer,
Are they in a pot? I snip off all, but one. I plant several in case all the seed doesn't germinate. Other people take the extras and put them into their own pot. In zone 7 yours should be in the ground or am I missing something? You going for your fall crop?
Gail

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:09AM
jcrowder(7)

To Clarify..i'm referring to the clusters of fruit...not the plants or seedlings! Right now, there are clusters of about 6 tomatoes and each tomato is about the size of small peach. They are already touching each other so I'm just concerned about how much room they need to grow to full maturity.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:02AM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

IS your plant potato leaf (PL) as it should be if it's German Queen?

The reason I ask is b'c most varieties that are large beefsteak shaped varieties don't have that many fruits on one truss.

Carolyn, who never thins fruits; that's for those who want to grow larger fruits than a plant normally gives and my priority is taste, not fruit size.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 5:45PM
nordfyr315(5)

My German Queens don't produce fruits like that. Last year I got about 4 fruits per plant.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 9:23PM
tmatoscience

Hi all,I planted a german queen for the first time this year and started it out in a topsy turvey,She didnt like this set-up,the main stalk turned black,I put her in a pot on the front deck and she is doing fine,I have used topsy's for years and have my own custom stand with a gravity fed watering system and consistantly churn out super tomatoes.Tomatoes are like anything else,you have to commit to them or it wont work,watering and temperatures go hand in hand and it takes patience and dedication for it to pay off.I grow nothing but tomatoes and have learned how to from trial and error,Happy growing

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Overwhelmed with tomato variety options, need some help choosing...
I realize that for many of you tomatophiles, planting...
stringz
Critique Varieties please for 2015
My garden each year seems to expand here in N. Indiana...
hoosier318
T-5 Grow light question on seedlings that just germinated
I should no this by now, but seedlings with out true...
thebutcher
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Quick Start
I sowed 6 tomato varieties yesterday in frozen garden...
goodground
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™