Climber wanted, Hudson valley growing area

Klippenwald(5a)September 15, 2012

I'm looking for a wall climber. Non-invasive. It would be great if it changed color in the fall, better yet if it flowered too. I'd prefer to avoid the craziness of English Ivy.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Parthenocissus quinqefolia or tricuspidata (Virginia creeper and Boston ivy) both develop great fall color and will cling to walls. Climbing hydrangea will need help adhering initially but produces lots of flowers. Crimson glory vine (Vitis coignetiae), an ornamental grape vine, has stunning fall color but will need some sort of support system.

Seems like one gets fall color or flowers but not necessarily both ;-)

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 6:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Klippenwald(5a)

Those first two look great for climbing and color. The climbing hydrangea is nice, but it sure is bushy. That would invite a lot of wildlife to inhabit the space, and with squirrels, 'munks, snakes and every other creepy-crawly in the area I'm sure more than one would use it as a hangout and an invitation to test nearby windows.

I'm definitely looking for something that needs little/no assistance to climb on its own. Otherwise I could just use a Clematis, Wisteria, Jasmine or something like that. They look great, but need a lot of support.

I remember seeing a climbing vine in the UK that had small white flowers, unfortunately I don't know if it had fall color, or even what it was.

Thanks for the mentions, I completely forgot about Virginia Creeper.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™