Need Help Identifying a Shrub

cairnqueenApril 30, 2012

I'm trying to identify this blooming shrub. I have my guesses, but I'm not sure I have it right. These are blooming at the intersection of Hebron and Josey Lane in Carrollton. I've seen them blooming in the fall but I don't think I've ever seen them in bloom now. These pictures were taken last night. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry...I couldn't figure out how to insert the pictures in my post. Providing a link to the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Shrub

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I think it's a flowering senna. There are several varieties. And you're right. They usually bloom in the fall, but my Senna Corymbosa got mixed up as a lot of plants did from last years drought and is blooming now.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 4:40PM
cairnqueen

Roselee - Thanks! Senna is my guess too. Any thoughts on which Senna it might be? I've looked at tons of pictures but can't decide. The leaves were glossy and bright green (no gray tones and not velvety). They were also more pointed than rounded.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 5:40PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

A lot of Sennas are tender. After loosing a mature 12 year old no ID Senna to the 2009 winter, which wasn't even as cold as it was in 2010, I bought Senna Corymbosa on Carrie's recommendation since she said it was hardy in her Dallas area garden. So cold hardiness might give you a clue on which one it might be. Maybe when Carrie sees this she can help with an ID.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Would you share your exerience with Cestrums?
Although I have grown night blooming jessamine (Cestrum...
jardineratx
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Carrie's Snow Pictures from this Morning ...
Carrie lives a little north of Dallas. She says "And...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
WANTED: San Antonio Plant Swap
Mark your calendars: Sat., April 18, 9 am, Rogiers...
loispi
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™